Translation help wanted
Mark Thomas
2018-11-12 11:49:51 UTC
All,

Apache Tomcat includes some translations for error messages and parts of
the user interface - primarily the Manager web application. We would
like to improve the coverage and quality of these translations.
Accordingly, the Tomcat project has been set up on POEditor, a web-based
service for managing the translation of resource files.

The aim is that anyone who wants to contribute to the translations (it
could be anything from fixing a typo in an existing translation to
adding support for a new language) can create an account and contribute.

If you would like to contribute in this way then the
The Tomcat project can be found here:

https://poeditor.com/join/project/NUTIjDWzrl

Anyone should be able to join up as a contributor. If you are
interested, please sign up and start contributing.

Note: All contributions will be taken as being made under the terms of
the Apache License version 2.

I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the Tomcat
source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of new/updated
translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get any updates into the
next Tomcat 9 release.

If you have any difficulties or questions, please ask here.

Thanks,

Mark

Geraldo Netto
2018-11-12 13:44:27 UTC
Hi Mark/Friends,

Anyone from Brazil/Portugal to help with translation?
I just started :)

Kind Regards,

Geraldo Netto
Sapere Aude => Non dvcor, dvco
http://exdev.sf.net/
Mark Thomas
2018-11-12 13:58:10 UTC
Post by Geraldo Netto
Hi Mark/Friends,
Anyone from Brazil/Portugal to help with translation?
I just started :)
I am truly amazed. I sent this email out ~ two hours ago and we already
have over 130 new and/or improved translations and the count is
increasing as I type this. I've updated my query a few times to get some
different views and every time I do that, the total translation count is up.

Please do spread the word about this opportunity to contribute to Apache
Tomcat.

Thanks all,

Mark
Post by Geraldo Netto
Kind Regards,
Geraldo Netto
Sapere Aude => Non dvcor, dvco
http://exdev.sf.net/
André Warnier (tomcat)
2018-11-12 14:12:16 UTC
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Geraldo Netto
Hi Mark/Friends,
Anyone from Brazil/Portugal to help with translation?
I just started :)
I am truly amazed. I sent this email out ~ two hours ago and we already
have over 130 new and/or improved translations and the count is
increasing as I type this. I've updated my query a few times to get some
different views and every time I do that, the total translation count is up.
Please do spread the word about this opportunity to contribute to Apache
Tomcat.
I've been quite busy in French in the last half-hour. It's quite a difficult exercise
though, because a lot of technical terms do not have a good translation in other languages
than English. It ends up sounding very poetic, but I'm wondering what is the target
public, and how much that will really help them when such a message pops up.
Sounds a bit like a Spanish restaurant menu translated for English tourists.

E.g. "InputStream" ==> "Flux d'entrée" ? (or "Flux d'entrée (InputStream)" ?)

Mark Thomas
2018-11-12 14:25:21 UTC
Post by André Warnier (tomcat)
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Geraldo Netto
[...]
When it comes to a class name (i.e. something you might need to search
for in the source code) I'd lean towards:

"InputStream" ==> "Input Stream (Flux d'entrée)"

But, keep in mind I am a native English speaker who has always found
learning foreign languages difficult so I am probably not the best
person to advise on this. I would do with what you think is best. There
is always scope for further tweaking at a later date.

It is probably worth mentioning something from the dev@ thread where
some of the nuts and bolts of how to do this were discussed. It is easy
for a user for force a particular translation if they wish. There are a
couple of ways to do it depending on exactly what the desired outcome is.

Mark

Woonsan Ko
2018-11-12 16:37:36 UTC
I've just started Korean as well this morning. :-)
It's only 0.87% now, but it will be done together collectively.

Cheers,

Woonsan

-----
[Korean translation]
저도 방금 막 한국어 번역을 오늘 아침에 시작했습니다. ^^
아직 0.87%밖에 안되지만, 함께 완성할 수 있으리라 생각합니다.

그럼,

고운산 드림.
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Geraldo Netto
Hi Mark/Friends,
Anyone from Brazil/Portugal to help with translation?
I just started :)
I am truly amazed. I sent this email out ~ two hours ago and we already
have over 130 new and/or improved translations and the count is
increasing as I type this. I've updated my query a few times to get some
different views and every time I do that, the total translation count is up.
Please do spread the word about this opportunity to contribute to Apache
Tomcat.
Thanks all,
Mark
Post by Geraldo Netto
Kind Regards,
Geraldo Netto
Sapere Aude => Non dvcor, dvco
http://exdev.sf.net/
Rémy Maucherat
2018-11-13 12:32:24 UTC
Post by Mark Thomas
I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the Tomcat
source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of new/updated
translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get any updates into the
next Tomcat 9 release.
Ok. Could you remove "French (MC)" ? No idea where it comes from but in
Monaco they do standard French, and it's too small anyway :D

Rémy
Mark Thomas
2018-11-13 13:50:46 UTC
Post by Rémy Maucherat
Post by Mark Thomas
I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the Tomcat
source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of new/updated
translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get any updates into the
next Tomcat 9 release.
Ok. Could you remove "French (MC)" ? No idea where it comes from but in
Monaco they do standard French, and it's too small anyway :D
Done. I wasn't sure about that one. Currently, any contributor can add a
new language. I left it open to let the community set the direction.

More generally...

I don't have any fixed rules in mind for when I'll a new language to the
Tomcat source code but the bar was set pretty low for what we had before
POEditor was being used. My gut feeling is 1-2% is sufficient.

I've just completed the first set of updates. It might be worth checking
the commits on the dev list (e.g. [1]) to make sure I haven't messed
anything up.

The community generated over 300 new translations yesterday which is
fantastic - and new translators continue to join. If you haven't
already, please spread the word.

I'm planning on making any Tomcat committers that sign up, admins for
the project.

Mark

[1] https://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/d5gt43lhgiw2miyc

André Warnier (tomcat)
2018-11-13 15:33:41 UTC
Holy Smoke (Fumée Sacrée | Sagrado Humo | Heilige Rauch) !
How many messages are in that code ?
Seems time to add some AI-translate add-on to the code.
Mark Thomas
2018-11-13 17:12:16 UTC
Removing the [OT] marker as I think this is very much on topic.
Post by André Warnier (tomcat)
Holy Smoke (Fumée Sacrée | Sagrado Humo | Heilige Rauch) !
How many messages are in that code ?
Currently there are 2747 unique terms.
Post by André Warnier (tomcat)
Seems time to add some AI-translate add-on to the code.
That is supported but it has to be paid for. That was something I was
thinking about. I have 10k characters of free translation (POEditor uses
either Google translate or Microsoft Automatic Translation) with my
POEditor account. The Tomcat messages average ~67.5 characters per
message so those free credits should be able to translate just under 150
messages.

To put it another way, automatic translation of the 2000 untranslated
French messages would cost less than $10 USD.

Hmm. The Tomcat project has a little over GBP 800 in the bank to cover
the up front costs of the next Tomcat conference.

Here is a thought. I try automatic translation of as many French
messages as I can with the 10k free characters. You review them (you can
filter by automatic translation and then mark them as proof read). If
you think the automatic translations are worthwhile, I get the PMC to
vote on spending some of that money on automatic translation. For
example, if we spent ~$55 we could do automatic translation for just
over 10 complete languages.

Are you up for that?

Mark

André Warnier (tomcat)
2018-11-13 17:54:51 UTC
André Warnier (tomcat)
2018-11-13 18:02:43 UTC
Ok, I take it back. I don't think there's an AI smart enough to translate this one :

"The attribute directive (declared in line [{1}] and whose name attribute is [{0}], the
value of this name-from-attribute attribute) must be of type java.lang.String, is
"required" and not a "rtexprvalue"."
Post by Mark Thomas
[...]
I was half-kidding, but what I was really thinking of, was a Valve which would use some AI
to translate the messages going out, on-the-fly.
The vast majority of the messages which I've seen so far (and attempted to translate to
French), are error messages, which either go to the logs (in majority I presume), or to
the user as some kind of error response (of which the status codes should be identifiable).
A good number of terms in them (50% ?) are either untranslatable, or should not be
translated because they point to Classnames and the like (so, "reserved words").
The rest looks like a limited vocabulary and "filler" words, such as "can", "cannot",
"disallowed", "parameter", "directory", "request", "response", "committed" ..
The majority of the messages also look like they would make sense only to a public of
programmers, which are used to deal with english-speaking-only programming languages (only
Java in this case), and (I believe) are not so picky about the finer points of style or
syntax (well, at least not the ones I know) ;-).
The thing is also that one really needs such a translation only when things go wrong or
during development/testing, so it could be turned off (default) and on only when needed,
using some dynamic parameter e.g. (the Manager, anyone ?).
That all looks to me like it may make sense, and it should not be so difficult, to apply
some automated (and optional) translation to them on-the-fly. And such a thing may save
*a lot* of maintenance and contributed time over the years, don't you think ?
Note that this is not in any way meant to denigrate the enthousiasm and literary talent of
the people having contributed so far. But let's face it : due to the very nature of the
beast itself, to the length limit etc., most of what comes out looks like Denglish or
Frenglish or Spanglish anyway (and has to be so, to be really helpful). So maybe we might
as well bite the bullet..
Also, AI sounds hot again nowadays, and having the first Apache software which implements
an automatic on-the-fly translator-assistant for messages should be a hit, no ?
As a final marketing spiel, I would add that the inevitable initial vagaries of the
AI-assistant, would probably add much enjoyment to the arduous task of debugging one's
code. And if one can switch the language on the fly, it may even fulfill some educational
purpose.
Caldarale, Charles R
2018-11-13 18:40:20 UTC
Subject: Re: Translation help wanted
"The attribute directive (declared in line [{1}] and whose name attribute is [{0}], the
value of this name-from-attribute attribute) must be of type
java.lang.String, is
"required" and not a "rtexprvalue"."
Maybe we should translate it to English first...

- Chuck

"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."
(probably Churchill, in The Strand magazine)

attachments from all computers.
Woonsan Ko
2018-11-14 01:30:57 UTC
+1. ;-)

While translating only 3% for Korean, I already met some challenging
items and it was not easy to find right words.
In my case, it was helpful to look up the source code as well in that case.

For example,

Unable to replicate out data for a AbstractReplicatedMap.get operation
java.org.apache.catalina.tribes.tipis.zzz.abstractReplicatedMap.unable.get

The first line is the English message, and the second is a hint for
the message key. Just remove before "....zzz." and find
"abstractReplicatedMap.unable.get" in the .java files from [1]. Then
the message can be better understood, or we could get a better
translation than the default one.

AI is cheap at the moment. Cheap word is cheap to readers.

Regards,

Woonsan

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomcat.git
Olaf Kock
2018-11-13 18:08:08 UTC
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by André Warnier (tomcat)
Seems time to add some AI-translate add-on to the code.
That is supported but it has to be paid for. That was something I was
thinking about. I have 10k characters of free translation (POEditor uses
either Google translate or Microsoft Automatic Translation) with my
POEditor account. The Tomcat messages average ~67.5 characters per
message so those free credits should be able to translate just under 150
messages.
We've been using automatic translation in Liferay for a while, but IMHO
this didn't work out well.

Machine translations lack the context, and are rarely right (and
accurate), but typically confusing, sometimes hillarious, partly rude
and rather unhelpful. More than that: If even new terms will be
automatically translated in the future, translators will always have to
go through *everything* and identify the newly automatically translated
strings. Not fun.

I'd recommend to not even consider it. At Liferay, which has
considerable user-facing UI, this was a quick start, that triggered
corrections once there was a wonky automatic translation. Plus, after a
while we introduced a mechanism to identify newly translated strings.
Without that, it's hard to maintain.

My 2 cents,

Olaf

Mark Thomas
2018-11-13 18:58:41 UTC
Post by Olaf Kock
Post by Mark Thomas
[...]
We do have this. POEditor will filter to show only automated
translations and we can mark them as proof-read once they have been checked.

Is any one willing to try this? If so, for which language?

Mark

André Warnier (tomcat)
2018-11-13 15:39:25 UTC
Post by Rémy Maucherat
Post by Mark Thomas
I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the Tomcat
source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of new/updated
translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get any updates into the
next Tomcat 9 release.
Ok. Could you remove "French (MC)" ? No idea where it comes from but in
Monaco they do standard French, and it's too small anyway :D
You could add "French (B)" though. There's more of us than Monégasques, and we have some
words all our own, for instance in the numbers category. I'm sure the Swiss would agree.

Just kidding..

Ludovic Pénet
2018-11-13 16:00:03 UTC
Le mardi 13 novembre 2018 à 16:39 +0100, André Warnier (tomcat) a
Post by Rémy Maucherat
Post by Mark Thomas
I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the Tomcat
source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of new/updated
translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get any updates into the
next Tomcat 9 release.
Ok. Could you remove "French (MC)" ? No idea where it comes from but in
Monaco they do standard French, and it's too small anyway :D
You could add "French (B)" though. There's more of us than
Monégasques, and we have some
words all our own, for instance in the numbers category. I'm sure the Swiss would agree.
Just kidding..
I was seriously wondering if it was worth adding French (Quebec), as
our cousins from the other side of the Atlantic like to translate
*everything* in French.

Well, let them request... :-)

Ludovic

Rémy Maucherat
2018-11-13 16:02:18 UTC
Post by Rémy Maucherat
Post by Mark Thomas
I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the Tomcat
source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of new/updated
translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get any updates into the
next Tomcat 9 release.
Ok. Could you remove "French (MC)" ? No idea where it comes from but in
Monaco they do standard French, and it's too small anyway :D
You could add "French (B)" though. There's more of us than Monégasques,
and we have some
words all our own, for instance in the numbers category. I'm sure the Swiss would agree.
Just kidding..
Users can add languages, so no problem :)

Rémy
Christopher Schultz
2018-11-13 17:36:41 UTC

All,
Post by Rémy Maucherat
Post by Mark Thomas
I'm aiming to export the translations on a regular basis to the
Tomcat source code. How regularly will depend on the rate of
new/updated translations but as a minimum, I'm aiming to get
any updates into the next Tomcat 9 release.
Ok. Could you remove "French (MC)" ? No idea where it comes from
but in Monaco they do standard French, and it's too small anyway
:D
You could add "French (B)" though. There's more of us than
Monégasques, and we have some words all our own, for instance in
the numbers category. I'm sure the Swiss would agree.
Just kidding..
Here's the thing: lots of countries have their own dialects of various
languages, but the root language is really the same. Nobody in Quebec
is going to read "standard" French and misunderstand "our boat is
sinking and we are all going to die" for "we are performing an
existential thought-experiment"[1].

If the "standard" translation is done well, we don't need fr-* where *
is every country where the French language is spoken. Imagine fr-US-NO
where "NO" is "New Orleans" which speaks ... an odd assortment of
pidgin languages that sound kind of French-y. We don't need an
explosion of translations. There is no need to have an en-BR, en-US
and eu-AU when simply "en" will work.

I'm sure that's the case for most other languages in the world.

There is a significant argument for zh-CN and zh-TW/zh-HK because
mainland China almost exclusively uses Simplifies Chinese while TW/HK
still use Traditional, and there really is a big difference, there.
But I think that's an exception to the general rule.

When providing a translation for a particular language, try not to use
colloquialisms that will only be understood by the people who live in
your own city. This could easily happen in English if the Brits all
used British slang for everything, which is completely indecipherable
to Americans, etc. But it really shouldn't come up very often. There
is always a clear way of saying something without resorting to slang.

If you are tempted to use slang, remember that not everyone will be
able to read it. And if English is the primary language from which
these translations will come, then using slang there will probably
turn into something which (literally) does not translate well into
another language. So, stick to standard, boring language, here.

- -chris

[1]

Dave Fisher
2018-11-13 18:48:54 UTC
Sent from my iPhone
All,
Post by Rémy Maucherat
Post by Mark Thomas
[...]
The others are pt and pt-BR.
[1] http://youtu.be/yR0lWICH3rY
Caldarale, Charles R
2018-11-13 18:51:59 UTC
There is no need to have an en-BR, en-US and eu-AU when simply "en" will
work.

Might need an en-EastEnders or en-Yorkshire though...

- Chuck

attachments from all computers.
Arjuna Bandara
2018-11-13 14:35:38 UTC
Hi Mark,

I've visited your website,but could not found my native language 'Sinhala'.
If your system capable of adding new languages please let me know.

Regards
Arjuna
Mark Thomas
2018-11-13 14:45:47 UTC
Richard HO
2018-11-16 09:37:46 UTC
Hi, Mark

I used to be a JEE application server developer and developed it for three
years. I am also a blogger at the same time.
My article will be posted to the WeChat subscription account.
Currently, there are more than 15,000 subscribers. Content will be read by
all followers.

This morning, I posted an article about the translation of Tocmat
internationalization information and error messages.
Our target language is Simplified Chinese. So, many developers have joined
in and everyone works together.
At noon, the progress of Chinese translation has reached 10%.

[image: WechatIMG551.jpeg]
But in the afternoon, I suddenly found that the progress became 3%,

and I saw your name in the contributor.

Excuse me, did you clear some content?

Is the translated content unqualified?

[image: 3abc.jpg]
[image: translator.jpg]

Richard
Mark Thomas
2018-11-16 11:50:00 UTC
Post by Richard HO
Hi, Mark
I used to be a JEE application server developer and developed it for
three years. I am also a blogger at the same time.
My article will be posted to the WeChat subscription account.
Currently, there are more than 15,000 subscribers. Content will be read
by all  followers.
This morning, I posted an article about the translation of Tocmat
internationalization information and error messages.
Our target language is Simplified Chinese. So, many developers have
joined in and everyone works together.
Ah. That explains the influx of email to my inbox for all those new
contributors.
Post by Richard HO
 At noon, the progress of Chinese translation has reached 10%.
Excellent!
Post by Richard HO
WechatIMG551.jpeg
  But in the afternoon, I suddenly found that the progress became 3%,
  and I saw your name in the contributor.

  Excuse me, did you clear some content?
I'm fairly sure it wasn't me. The UI isn't great for telling who deleted
stuff but I see translations that are ~10 hours old that have been
deleted. That was the middle of the night for me and I was asleep so I'm
fairly sure I didn't delete anything.
Post by Richard HO
Is the translated content unqualified?
Not as far as I am concerned. I think someone (and I can't tell who)
accidentally pressed the "Flush All Translations" button which wipes
everything out.

As project admin I have the option to restore those. Based on what you
have written I'll try doing that. I'll do an export first though in case
the restoration causes any other data to be lost.

Mark
Post by Richard HO
3abc.jpg
translator.jpg
Richard
日周一 下午7:49写道:
Mark Thomas
2018-11-16 11:58:21 UTC

Post by Richard HO
Is the translated content unqualified?
Not as far as I am concerned. I think someone (and I can't tell who)
accidentally pressed the "Flush All Translations" button which wipes
everything out.
As project admin I have the option to restore those. Based on what you
have written I'll try doing that. I'll do an export first though in case
the restoration causes any other data to be lost.
OK. Anything that had been re-translated should not have been changed. A
total of 188 translations were recovered putting simplified Chinese at a
very impressive 17%.

I'll work on getting those added into the Tomcat code base.

Mark