mod_proxy_http and ports
Christopher Schultz
2018-11-28 17:20:07 UTC

All,

I'm looking at moving from mod_jk to mod_proxy_http and I'm finding
that a few things don't work "out of the box" like they did with
mod_jk. Specifically, I'm talking about auto-setting values such as
the server name and port that the application sees as the client's
server name and port.

With no specific configuration, this is what the server reports for
various request values (in a JSP, not an access log file, so this is
what the application can see):

serverName localhost
serverPort 8217

The above are accurate: the server is indeed listening on port 8217
and the reverse-proxy is on the same machine as Tomcat.

I get these HTTP request headers added by the reverse-proxy:

x-forwarded-for ::1
x-forwarded-host localhost
x-forwarded-server Christophers-MacBook-Pro-2.local

I am indeed requesting http://localhost/appname/whatever, so these
values are correct.

When enabling the RemoteIpValve in my <Engine> like this:

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve" />

Things change a bit. A few HTTP headers are removed from the
application's view, probably because they have been consumed by the
RemoteIpValve:

x-forwarded-host localhost
x-forwarded-server Christophers-MacBook-Pro-2.local
x-forwarded-for [missing/removed]

But I still see the same values from the request:

serverName localhost
serverPort 8217

The first makes sense... localhost is still the name of the server,
but the port number is wrong. I would expect that to be 80. But I can
see that mod_proxy_http is not providing a port number to Tomcat.

I can explicitly set the port number to e.g. 80 in the connector:

<Connector .... proxyPort="80" />

...and then I get the expected values.

On the other hand, it looks like everything actually *works* without
fixing-up the port issue. Is that because the "host" contains
everything necessary to re-build URLs for redirects, etc.?

- -chris